The Baby Journal

Welcome to our baby journal! This is where I (Kathleen) will write down my various thoughts, experiences, and milestones as I go through pregnancy and even beyond into new motherhood. I invite you to check in each month to see what's new and happening.

Tip: To read each month's posts in the order they were published, scroll to the bottom and read from bottom to top. (The most recent post will always appear at the top- I haven't figured out how to change this.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I'm a small town girl living in a big city.

Subscribe to this blog!

There are two new ways to get the latest updates! Pick your favorite!

A) Have the newest posts delivered directly to your email!



Powered by FeedBlitz

OR

B) Add The Baby Journal to your favorite service by clicking on one of these buttons!!

Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Don't see your favorite service? Follow this link to for more options!

Monday, March 07, 2005

The First to Know

We decided to share our good news with only a few people until I was further along in my pregnancy.
The first people to know were my parents, my sister, and her husband. As it happened, they were all driving to Mammoth for a skiing vacation that day (March 3, 2005), so they were all in the same car. I wanted to tell them in person, but didn't have the patience to wait for that next opportunity, so I ended up calling them from work that day. (Luke had stayed home sick, poor guy.) I called my mom's cell phone and asked how she felt about being a "grandma." There was a long pause, then she asked, "Are you serious?" To which I replied, "Yes!" And she let out a "Woo- hoo!" In the background I heard the car explode with demands to know what was going on. My mom let them know and everyone was very excited! The phone got passed around the car and everyone proclaimed their happiness for having new titles. After we were done talking, they called Luke at home and congratulated him, too.
The next people to know were my employers, Paul & Janine Miller, because they'd discussed buying a third car (for the purpose of easing my drop off and pick up of the twins from school and gym class) and we felt better having informed them of our news before they made a major purchase like that. They'd been forewarned that this was hoped for in the near future, and they were very happy for us.
Next we told Luke's parents and sisters. We arranged to visit them for dinner Sunday, March 6, 2005. We already had an antique hat that we'd purchased for his sister, Katie, as a thank you for some help she'd promised us, so we decided to include that in springing our surprise. We printed out a photo of the positive HPT and Luke wrote the caption, "Coming November 2005!" Then we found an appropriately sized box and placed the photograph at the bottom of the box. Over that we placed a layer of packing paper (but left the white edge of the photo peaking out), and placed the hat on top before loosely taping the top closed. Shortly after arriving, Luke presented Katie with the box, explaining that part of it was a thank you for her and the other part was for the family. So first she opened it and admired the hat, then she pulled out the picture and stared at it while Amy and Jill stared over her shoulder. As their faces began to registered understanding and their jaws dropped, Jerry moved over to peek at the picture himself, and soon "awwwwweee" was coming from all over, as well as "congratulations!" At one point, Jerry gleefully declared, "I'm going to be a grandpa!" Everyone was very happy and excited!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thank you for visiting this blog!

Don't forget to subscribe so you won't miss a moment of the action! ;)