The Baby Journal

Welcome to our baby journal! This is where I (Kathleen) will write down my various thoughts, experiences, and milestones as I go through pregnancy and even beyond into new motherhood. I invite you to check in each month to see what's new and happening.

Tip: To read each month's posts in the order they were published, scroll to the bottom and read from bottom to top. (The most recent post will always appear at the top- I haven't figured out how to change this.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I'm a small town girl living in a big city.

Subscribe to this blog!

There are two new ways to get the latest updates! Pick your favorite!

A) Have the newest posts delivered directly to your email!



Powered by FeedBlitz

OR

B) Add The Baby Journal to your favorite service by clicking on one of these buttons!!

Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Don't see your favorite service? Follow this link to for more options!

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Another Night at the Hospital

Friday afternoon I was refilling a prescription at Sav On across from our apartment and decided to check my blood pressure in the machine there while I waited. The results? Normal. Good.

Friday evening, on the way home from the twin's 4th bday party, we stopped at WalMart for some house cleaning supplies. On the way to the check out I realized my hands felt "funny." I looked down and they were HUGE (looked like I was wearing red costume hands)! So I showed Luke and he told me to immediately go sit in the car and try to relax while he checked out. Then, on the way home we decided to stop by SavOn and try that machine again- just in case. Well, let's just say it was NOT normal this time.... REALLY not normal. So, we went home and called the midwife on call (who turned out to be my regular midwife). She said for us to come in to the hospital for more testing like last time.

We checked in to the hospital at about 11:15pm and I under went more testing and monitoring. While we were there, my blood pressure kept bouncing around randomly - everything from 129/92 to 139/79 to 144/93 and so forth. For those who don't know, 140/90 and above is considered high. However, all of my tests came back pretty much the same as before - all normal. So, at 2:30am they released me to go home with some new instructions.

1) I am to restrict my activities. No major household chores, no grocery shopping, no going out, etc. I'm to basically stay around the house and try to relax as much as possible. It's not bed rest. I'd call it "house arrest."

2) I am to collect my urine for 24hrs starting Saturday morning, then turn it in for testing Sunday morning. If they find 300mg or more protein in it, they'll diagnose me with preeclampsia and induce me. If not, on to #3.

3) They've asked that starting Tuesday I come in for "nonstress fetal testing" twice a week (Tuesdays & Fridays). This will be in addition to my midwife appointments on Wednesdays. From what I remember of that 2:30am explaination: they'll hook me up to a monitor and watch Ethan's heartrate and movements in addition to checking my urine and blood pressure, and measuring my amniotic fluid volume. I can't remember what else, if anything is included in this testing. I'll probably find out more tomorrow.

For some good news... they're all still commenting on how wonderfully active Ethan is (more than most babies) and how great his heartbeat is. They've also measured my amniotic fluid at both these hospital visits and commented on how ample my supply is- more than addequate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thank you for visiting this blog!

Don't forget to subscribe so you won't miss a moment of the action! ;)