May 25th Midwife Appointment and other stuff
Sometime after the appointment in April, but before the appointment in May, I had a ...... "UTI scare." The short version is that I thought I might have a UTI so I went to get tested. That night I was told by the midwife on call that my test was negative for UTI and that my symptoms were actually pregnancy symptoms (*LOL*). So I relaxed and by Monday I had no doubt they were correct. However a different individual contacted me Tuesday and when I called back, .... long story short- they said my tests were unclear and I needed to retest. Called the next day to speak to MY midwife and ended up talking to yet someone else who said I DID have a UTI and needed antibiotics! Couldn't get ahold of MY midwife that day so decided the greater risk lay in letting a UTI worsen, so to just take the prescription. Went to get the prescription filled only to have the pharmacist warn me that because I'm allergic to penicyllin (sp?) I had a 1 in 8 chance of having an allergic reaction to the prescribed antibiotic! So I tried to get ahold of MY midwife again. Finally did and was told I did NOT have a UTI and did NOT need antibiotics and did NOT need to retest! Since all of my "symptoms" had disipated or made themselves CLEARLY associated with my growing uterus, I decided to trust her. And time told that she was right. However from testing to finally resolution it took 6 full days just to get a straight answer!!! Unbelievably frustrating, not to mention nerve wracking!
Other things that have happened include the beginnings of a visible "belly" and a DECIDED increase in heartburn! Also, though my energy level is increased from that of the first trimester, it is still nothing like it was prepregnancy. Today, less than 2 hours spent at Sea World with the twins I nanny, felt like a whole day! I am no longer allowed to lift anything greater than 25lbs, and I strain/pull muscles unbelievably easily these days. Backache is a daily occurance already, though not as bad as I suspect it will be before this is over. Despite recent dental torture (an aggravated nerve in an onlay caused the worst root canal I've ever had) my appetite has increased GREATLY, along with the list of foods that my stomach will accept without queasiness. All in all, I am definately FEELING pregnant now.
As for the May 25th midwife appointment, not a lot happened. We discovered that our bathroom scale is broken. I had been worried that I'd not gained more than 1lb in the last month- turns out I had actually gained 5lbs in 5wks- exactly what I was supposed to! Yeah! And we heard the heartbeat again. This time we remembered to bring a tape recorder and record the sound. So I have now listened to that 30second sound byte about 30 times in the last week! :-D Not to mention playing it for my mother and father, and Luke's father and sister during our weekend visit. Of course, I forgot to ask what the bpm was. Oh well.
Our next monthly visit with the midwife is scheduled for June 22nd, but before that we'll have our 2nd ultrasound on June 20th. That will be the day when we will finally have to decide whether or not to discover the baby's gender before birth. Originally we'd agreed to keep the first baby a surprise and then find out for later babies. This was because Luke wanted to be traditional and I wanted to be practical. Well, for a while now he's been seriously leaning toward finding out with the ultrasound, but he won't be pinned down to a definate yes, so we'll all just have to wait and see!
On our Keeping Current blog, Julia asked, "Your thoughts on being parents? Has it sunk in yet? Are you excited?"
Answer:
Sometimes the fact that there is a baby inside of me seems incredibly real, and other times I almost forget he/she is there! Sometimes the fact that I am about to become a mother is very real, and other times it seems like some make-believe; like the dream it has always been. I think that it's the same for Luke. . . . . The pregnancy definately feels real, now that I am beginning to show and strangers are starting to comment. But the fact that our baby actually exists and is inside of me.... that's something a bit harder to grasp. I mean, right now all I have is a pink test stick, an ultrasound of a grain of rice, and a VERY bizarre body to prove his/her existence. I'm hoping/expecting that with the next ultrasound and the soon-to-arrive feeling of movements, I'll start to realize the reality of the baby separate from the reality of my changing body. ... if that makes sense? (BTW I have just entered my 18th week and a first time mom can expect to begin feeling fetal movements anytime from 18-22wks - or so the books say.) We are both very excited to become parents; and I know that I, at least, felt more than a little convicted when Pastor David touched on impatience in one of his recent sermons, but I'm working on that. It's important to enjoy this stage, because I know that it will be gone all too soon and our lives will NEVER be the same!





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home