Ethan's First Week At Home
Around 5:30pm Thursday night (the very first night home), I did something very silly. I changed Ethan's diaper and did not cover his wee wee. Guess what he did?? Yep. He peed ALL over! Then, while Luke and I tried to quickly clean the mess, Ethan decided it would be a good time to empty his bowels again- all over the changing pad. Then, while we were trying to clean up that... he spit up. But no, he wasn't done yet. Just as we finished cleaning up those messes.... he poo'd again! ROTFL! If we'd had a camera rolling, it could have passed as an "I Love Lucy" episode!
Late Saturday morning (10/29/05), Ethan was laying happily on a blanket on the floor when he began to get fussy. We determined the cause to be gas discomfort. This assessment was confirmed when he loudly passed gas and his faced instantly changed from scrunched up fussing to an unbelievably accurate impression of a "Grinch" grin. He was so proud of himself! LOL!
Around 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon, Luke ran some errands while my mom and I gave Ethan his first bath (not counting the one he had in the hospital). We had the video camera rolling. Everything went fairly well. Nothing really unexpected happened until.... I handed Ethan over to my mom who wrapped him in his "I love Mommy" towel and snuggled him close. Then I started rinsing the soap suds from my hands and.... *pttth*- Ethan poo'd!...in his towel....without a diaper!!! So much for a clean bottom.... and so much for my mom's clean shirt! We both about died laughing, and for those of you who don't know.... laughing with an abdominal incision is not the most comfortable experience. So the video has me alternately laughing, lecturing myself "don't laugh", laughing again, and crying "ow", before laughing some more.
Starting Saturday night, Ethan began a WONDERFUL sleeping pattern of eating for 15 minutes, then immediately going to sleep (during burping) and staying asleep for about 2 hours, then waking up and repeating the process. This lasts from about midnight until 7 in the morning. And yes, 2 solid hours of sleep is A LOT!!! We are very grateful and are wondering just how long we are going to be so blessed! The best part is that at 7 or so when he wakes up.... so does my mom! So she takes him and entertains him during this alert phase while Luke and I catch an extra 2 hours of sleep! I don't know how we're going to stand it when she goes home this Saturday!
Monday afternoon Ethan had his first pediatrician's appointment. I think I already mentioned this in yesterday's post, but we dressed him in a cute "little pumpkin" outfit for the occasion and he ended up weighing 8lbs 1oz- a 5oz gain from his birth weight!!!
After Ethan's Pediatrician's Appointment, we came home and showed him off to the appartment managers. Then Leah dropped off dinner and had a little visit before we left for our first real outing! My mom and I went to Motherhood Maternity for some new bras and a nursing shirt, then ran a couple errands to Target and Walmart before meeting Luke and his father at Home Depot to finally pick out some hardware for Ethan's dresser. I carried Ethan in his Koala Sling the entire time and he absolutely LOVED it! It was VERY comfortable for me, and he just slept like a baby the entire time (a little over 3 hours)! We kept expecting him to wake up and want to eat, but he just kept sleeping. We actually had to wake him to eat when we got home.
Tuesday (11/01/05) my sister surprised me by driving all the way from Yucca to come and spend the afternoon visiting with us. She'd only gotten to see him a few minutes at the hospital before having to drive home because of Ethan's late hour of arrival (they had to drive 2 1/2hrs home that night so that my dad could work the next day). The story had been that she wouldn't be able to come back to visit for another couple of weeks, but she surprised me by taking time away from her studying to drive all that way just to visit for a few hours! The poor thing had to deal with rush hour traffic heading north when she left. :-(
Today (Wed. 11/02/05) was a day of trying to relax and store up energy for tomorrow. Tomorrow my grandparents are coming to visit and we are going to take Ethan for his first professional pictures so that we can start getting his birth announcements together.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home