The Baby Journal

Welcome to our baby journal! This is where I (Kathleen) will write down my various thoughts, experiences, and milestones as I go through pregnancy and even beyond into new motherhood. I invite you to check in each month to see what's new and happening.

Tip: To read each month's posts in the order they were published, scroll to the bottom and read from bottom to top. (The most recent post will always appear at the top- I haven't figured out how to change this.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

I'm a small town girl living in a big city.

Subscribe to this blog!

There are two new ways to get the latest updates! Pick your favorite!

A) Have the newest posts delivered directly to your email!



Powered by FeedBlitz

OR

B) Add The Baby Journal to your favorite service by clicking on one of these buttons!!

Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Don't see your favorite service? Follow this link to for more options!

Thursday, January 05, 2006

2am Ramblings

So long as I'm up.....

Something new:
Ethan has discovered toys! Rattles, soft & furry things, and crinkling things all enthrall him. So do high contrast images. Our mobile is a recent big hit as well. Just crank that baby up and you've got yourself 2 minutes to fix a sandwich in peace and quiet- disturbed only by Ethan's occasional happy sounds.
And coincidentally, Ethan has discovered his mouth. That is to say, he's discovered how to get things into it. And of course EVERYTHING goes in!
On a scary note: Ethan is becoming somewhat of a momma's boy in that he's fussing to be held specifically by me more and more often- it used to be that anyone would do. I'm hoping that can be changed if I can figure out how to expose him others holding him more frequently..... Anyone want to visit? ;-D

Coming up:
We're planning on getting Ethan his first MEGA toy, as I call them. We're looking at the Fischer Price Ocean Wonders Kick & Crawl Aquarium. It has good reviews and will be good for hitting and kicking at now, as well as convert into a crawl-through tunnel later. (Thanks Family for the great gift certificates!)
Also, Friday the 13th of this month will be Ethan's second pediatrician appointment. We're anticipating his first vaccination shot to take place that day. Yikes! I hope it doesn't hurt him too bad. He didn't so much as squeak with the one shot he had at the hospital, but this one will probably be that DTAP one and that includes the Tetnas (sp?) shot which I recently had and which made my arm ache for two weeks! Poor baby! I could almost cry thinking about it. I'm just going to keep thinking it won't hurt as much for him.
And with amazingly perfect timing, we'll leave that same day to visit with my family in Yucca for the weekend. It will be Ethan's first trip beyond San Diego County (the farthest away he's been is the Wild Animal Park). I'm really hoping things go well. ..... Why am I suddenly feeling this might be the drive from hell??? Oh please let that shot not hurt!!!

As you may be able to tell, I am tired. However, I am not as tired as I should be. I've gotten so used to staying up in the wee hours with Ethan that even when he does sleep during those times, I sometimes find it hard to sleep myself. (This is not one of those nights. He is eating while I type.) Of course, being awake at night is something of a problem. You see, Luke is asleep and I need to occupy myself quietly so even if I had the energy to .... wash dishes, for example, I couldn't because I'd make too much noise and wake him up. Then, of course, in the later hours of the morning when I can make all the noise I want (because Luke's gone to work) and only worry about waking up Ethan.... that's when I'm sleeping. You see Ethan's "regular" 4hour stretch is usually sometime during the hours of 8am to 1pm. So by the time I wake up more than half the day is usually gone, leaving me about 5 hours to work before Luke comes home. Subtract from that two feeding sessions of 30 minutes each from start to finish and at least one diaper change of 10 minutes, and I'm down to 3hrs 50 minutes. Of course then you have to subtract the time it takes to set him up with toys to keep him occupied - and these have to be changed every 10 minutes or so because he gets bored. Of course if this actually works it's a good day. Most days Ethan ends up in "time out" at least twice. This occurs when absolutely nothing is wrong except that I am not paying attention to him and he insists on screaming his disapproval for endless minutes. So I'll pick him up and set him in the middle of his bedroom floor toyless while telling him "No" and "Stop". If he doesn't quiet down, I'll leave the room until he does. I realize he doesn't understand the words, but he understands the facial expressions and tone, and several times he has calmed himself down before I even left the room. Of course, I then reward him by picking him up for a few minutes before setting him back to solo play so that I can continue whatever chore I was attempting. All of this takes time. Some days I try carrying him in our sling, but it makes my back ache after a while and isn't the most convenient for standing in front of things likes counters and washing machines. I also have to put him in the stroller and push him down to the laundry room with me whenever I do the laundry- more time consumption. Multitasking with an infant is tricky. Case in point: Ethan finished eating & burping then sat in my lap grinning & cooing like a fool for 3 minutes while I pecked at the keyboard w/one finger & supported his head with my other hand- then the white fountain flowed and Ethan's own personal instrument tooted. Please excuse me while I go change everything he has on!................

Having explained all of this, I will hope for some understanding the next time you visit our house- aka the disaster zone! :-D I can only imagine the same goes for any other new mom out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Thank you for visiting this blog!

Don't forget to subscribe so you won't miss a moment of the action! ;)