July 13th Midwife Appt.
As for our monthly midwife appt. there was nothing too unusual. Went through all the usual things (pee, weight, blood pressure) and added a couple new things (fundal measurement and an order to have routine glucose testing). For those of you who may not know, fundal measurement (hope I'm spelling it right) is the measurement of my uterus. It is supposed to coincide pretty closely with how far along I am in the pregnancy. For example: A woman who is 23 weeks along should measure at 23 centimeters. I measured at 24.5 centimeters. Anyone surprised?? Not us. This means that my uterus is now about 2 inches above my belly button .... or in more practical terms: if I'm not sitting ramrod straight, my boobs are resting on my belly. :-D
Also, we're planning on hiring a doula so we asked her for tips on hiring someone. She gave us a couple cards for doulas that she has worked with and likes. If you don't know, a doula is "a woman experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional, and informational support to the mother [and father] before, during and just after childbirth". Or to put it more simply: a personal birth assistant. There are many studies attesting to the various physical and emotional benefits of having a birth assistant present, but mostly I just think the extra set of hands and the objective experienced mind will relieve a lot of pressure all around.
I guess now would be a good time to tell you that I am planning on delivering at the UCSD Hillcrest Birth Center. I will have a midwife, the doula we hire, Luke, my mother, and my sister in the room with me. (Assuming that the last two can make it there in time.) After the birth, my mother is planning on spending a week or two with us at home to ease the transition. Then, at some point, relatively soon afterward, we're thinking of having some sort of little party for everyone to come over and get to meet Ethan. We'll see how that goes.
Oh. I want to note that I DO intend to post pictures of our June 20th ultrasound, however, at the moment we do not have internet access at home and this makes it difficult. Look to see them posted sometime around my next appointment (in 4 weeks) or shortly after we move (July 23rd) if all goes well. I also hope to post a "belly shot" at that time for those of you who have not seen me in person recently.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home